Event is FINISHED
10 reasons to attend:
AWS Cloud Kata for Start-Ups and Developers | Taipei, October 24, 2013
(9-10am) Early Birds AWS Training is sold out. (10am-5pm) AWS Cloud Kata free passes are still available! Register now!
Kata (型 or 形 literally: "form"), a series of choreographed patterns of movements used for teaching, through which successful techniques are mastered.
Join the AWS team for a day of live discussions as well as business and technical mentoring on the latest cloud computing best practices. Geared specifically to growing start-ups and development teams, the Cloud Kata sessions will guide you through tips, customer testimonials and technical best practices to help you grow faster on the AWS Cloud. As seats are limited, sign up for your free pass today!
10 reasons to attend:
- Discover pro tips that help your start-ups as you go from idea to minimum viable product (MVP), to scale, and ultimately to profitability.
- See live demonstrations and learn more about services such as Amazon EC2, Relational Database Service (RDS), S3, CloudFront, and AWS Elastic Beanstalk.
- Leverage AWS reference architectures, SDK, and services to build your MVP quickly.
- Get hands-on guidance and coaching on how to build your MVP on the AWS Cloud.
- Gain insights on the six best practices for "cost aware architecting".
- Explore smart ways to lower your costs by leveraging various AWS pricing models
- Learn from Taiwanese start-ups, Fandora, Gogolook (WhosCall), and Cubie on how they succeeded with AWS.
- Understand venture capital (VC), how it works, and how to pitch to VC’s to obtain the capital needed to grow your start-up.
- Find the best fit for your co-founder, your technical stack and services, and the right architecture for now and the future.
- Network with your peers and the AWS team.
Who should attend:
- Start-up business and technical founders, and developers who are eager to learn how to run lean and scale fast to build their next big thing.
- Development teams, engineers, architects and system administrators from enterprises who are eager to learn how to deploy applications in highly available, scalable architectures.
8:30am – 10:00am | Registration and Breakfast - Come early to get your technical questions answered at AWS Solutions Architect Corner, and network with your peers at the Start-Up Hub
9:00am – 10:00am | Early Birds AWS Training - Bring your own laptop and have your development environment ready for hands-on training and coding on the latest AWS services and APIs - SOLD OUT
10:15am – 5:00pm | AWS Cloud Kata for Start-Ups and Developers - See Session Agenda below for details - Seats are still available, sign up now!
10:15am – 10:45am | Welcome, Pieter Kemps, Business Development Manager, APAC
10:45am – 11:25am | Getting to Minimum Viable Product 'MVP' on AWS + Customer Presentation: Kevin Lin, Marketing Manager, Fandora
11:25am – 12:25pm | Getting to Scale on AWS + Customer Presentation: Reiny Song, CTO & Co-Founder, Gogolook (WhosCall)
12:25pm – 1:15pm | Lunch
1:15pm – 2:15pm | Getting to Profitability on AWS + Customer Presentation: Yenwen Feng, CEO & Co-Founder, Cubie
2:15pm – 3:00pm | Technical Co-Founder Handbook, Joe Ziegler, Start-Up Business Development Manager, APAC
3:00pm – 4:00pm | Venture Capital, Funding and Pitching, Pieter Kemps, Business Development Manager, APAC
4:00pm – 5:00pm | AWS Coding Challenge, Networking Reception & Drinks - Network with entrepreneurs, hackers and AWS members. At the same time, watch 20 developers compete head to head at the AWS Coding Challenge live!
5:00pm | Event Ends
Getting to Minimum Viable Product 'MVP' on AWS
This session will zoom into the stage from idea to MVP, and how to develop a product fast and get to market faster. Attend this session to learn how to:
- Increase speed of iteration and experimentation of your product
- Get to market faster
- Reduce development costs
- Focus your time in developing and building your MVP, and not on infrastructure
- Automate your deployments using AWS Elastic Beanstalk, AWS CloudFormation and AWS OpsWorks
- Use AWS for Development and Testing
- Leverage AWS reference architectures, SDK, and services to build your MVP quickly
Customer Speaker: Steven Su, CTO, Fandora
Getting to Scale on AWS
This session will focus on how to get from 'Minimum Viable Product' (MVP) to scale. It will also explain how to deal with unpredictable demand and how to build a scalable business. Attend this session to learn how to:
- Scale web servers and app services with Elastic Load Balancing and Auto Scaling on Amazon EC2
- Scale your storage on Amazon S3 and S3 Reduced Redundancy Storage
- Scale your database with Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon RDS, and Amazon ElastiCache
- Scale your customer base by reaching customers globally in minutes with Amazon CloudFront
Customer Speaker: Reiny Song, CTO & Co-Founder, Gogolook (Whoscall)
Getting to Profitability on AWS
Getting from scale to profitability, the question is: How to run lean and continue to grow revenue? How to get to profitability? This session will focus on how to run lean. Attend this session to learn more about:
- Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) on the AWS Cloud versus on-premise infrastructure
- Smart ways to lower your costs by leveraging various AWS pricing models
- The six best practices for "cost aware architecting"
Customer Speaker: Yenwen Feng, CEO & Co-Founder, Cubie Messenger
Technical Co-Founders Handbook
This session provides insight on how to build the technology needed for your start-ups. How do you choose the correct technical stack? How to build for growth? Do you use a relational database or a NoSQL option?
- How do you find a good technical co-founder?
- What are the technical decisions for your business you can make now that will support you in the future?
- Gain insight to best practice architectures to solve your market.
AWS Speaker: Joe Ziegler, Start-Up Business Development Manager
Venture Capital, Funding and Pitching
Pieter Kemps works with venture capitalists, incubators and angel investors in Taiwan and across Asia. Learn what motivates these high-risk investors and what it takes to make your start-up attractive:
- How do you design a pitch to meet the needs of the new wave of venture capitalists?
- How does funding work? What are the different types of funding available to start-ups?
- Should you fund with debt or equity? What are the pros and cons?
- What are the elements of a great pitch and presentation to get funding?
AWS Speaker: Pieter Kemps, Business Development Manager
AWS Speakers Profile:
Pieter Kemps, Business Development Manager - Venture Capital, Amazon Web Services
- Connecting VCs to start-ups with Amazon Web Services in Asia
- MBA, Booth School of Business, University of Chicago
- Area of Expertise: Infrastructure, Networking, Mobile, and Cloud Computing
- Field of Study: Entrepreneurship, Venture Capital
Joe Ziegler, Business Development Manager - Start-Ups, Amazon Web Services
- In charge of reaching out to start-ups in Asia Pacific with Amazon Web Services
- Worked on some of the first e-commerce applications at Netscape
- Director of Technical Services of Iris Data Services (Forbes' 500 Fastest Growing Companies in the US)
- MBA, University of Dallas, Texas
- Area of Expertise: Cloud Computing, Start-Ups, Enterprise Software Development
- Field of Study: Computer Science, Computer Engineering
The first 100 attendees will receive a free copy of The Lean Startup by Eric Ries:
All attendees who complete a feedback form will receive a limited edition AWS Cloud Kata t-shirt and USD 50 AWS Credits:
Add to Calendar
Thu Oct 24, 2013
8:30 AM - 5:00 PM CST
8:30 AM - 5:00 PM CST
Early Birds AWS Training + AWS Cloud Kata FULL AWS Cloud Kata FULL
- Venue Address
- 201, NTUH International Convention Center, No. 2, Xuzhou Road, Zhongzheng District 101, Taipei City Taiwan
Amazon Web Services244 Followers